Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Apollo gives way


The rows of Apollonian tidiness of our garden have given way to a shocking tangle of tapped out zucchini and cucumber plants, gnarly tomatoes and a smattering of various tired-looking herbs. Still, between the garden and our CSA we've got way more produce than we can hope to use. Eric Reuter of Chert Hollow Farm comes to the rescue today with a great way to use up the most-populous offenders, green peppers, tomatoes and cukes. And it looks great too.

Now, where to get a good Greek salad for lunch?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good greek salad for lunch?

Nowhere in Columbia, but that's my Greek Salad connoisseur snobbiness. Felini is probably the best bet. I'm not sure if the greek salads here are not that good, or just not what I'm used to.

Eric Reuter said...

I've never seen a Greek salad in Columbia that wasn't of the the standard wimpy lettuce-topped-with-vaguely-Greek-ingredients variety. That includes Felini, unless they've changed in the last year.

I don't know if my version meets others' ideas of what a real Greek salad is, but lettuce sure doesn't.

Thanks for the link, Scott. If anyone tries our version, let me know what you thought. Especially if you make the full dressing.

Scott said...

My one meal at Felini was so depressing that I haven't been back. Dreary, uncomfortable setting. Mediocre food. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Sycamore's got a nice take on the Greek salad. Slices of (real) tomatoes and cucumbers, olives, red onion, herbs and soft squares of cheese. Very nice, and nary a shred of lettuce to be found.

Anonymous said...

You're both right, I retract my previous statement. I had lunch there yesterday and the salad was awful. I was optimistic, because I actually have had some decent food at Felini. Of course, the standard for Greek food in Columbia is non-existent. I should remember that better than nothing is not a standard.

Scott said...

Too bad. With the Greek presence in Columbia you'd think someone could run a good Greek place. Angelo, Jimmy and the rest seem content running somewhat tasty, if kinda boring, places all over town.