Tuesday, August 26, 2008

IPA and Hefeweizen Tasting



Sycamore was again host to twenty-plus "members" of the eclectic Columbia Beer Enthusiasts group last night. We were a motley crew, with some bringing their excellent homebrews and others (me, for instance) stabbing wildly at Joe's, Top Ten Wines or Patricia's for whatever seems to fit the theme of this month's gathering.

Last night it was IPAs and Hefeweizens and again, I had tasted only three or four of the thirty-odd beers we sampled. In big tastings like this it's usually the outliers I come away remembering. The Calabaza Blanca jumped out immediately. Shockingly dry, it reminded the guy next to me and I of a less-fruity vinho verde wine mixed with club soda. Very different than anything I've had before; kudos to the guy or gal who brought it.

Two others I really enjoyed were:
Dunkels Hefeweizen (from the German brewer Tucher)
Heavy Weizen (from Southern Tier brewery in NY)

The full list of beers tasted is here. The next tasting is September 22 at Sycamore. 9pm. Theme: Scotch, amber and brown ales.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott, I "brought" the Jolly Pumpkin...it's on our beer list. great blog.

cheers, Sanford

comoprozac said...

The Jolly Pumpkin was one of my favorites as well. I brought the Southern Tier Heavy Weisen. It surprised me as well.

I was mostly happy that someone brought the Dogfish Head 120.

Anonymous said...

"stabbing wildly at Joe's, Top Ten Wines or Patricia's for whatever seems to fit the theme of this month's gathering."

When you are at Top Ten, talk to Paul about getting more beer and being more like Wine and Cheese in St Louis: good wine AND good beer. I try, but I don't get very far in my pleading. I saw he got a few new things in the other day....but it still isn't much.