Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Chinese Wok Express



One of the most reliably tasty and imminently affordable places in Columbia is Chinese Wok Express. It looks dingy from the outside and not much better in (the owner of another one of Columbia's Asian restaurants loves the food at CWE but claims to eat there with eyes closed). No matter, the food is excellent. I generally order from the Vietnamese side of the menu, sticking closely to the noodle bowls (I've found the Chinese platters on the other side of the menu decidedly so-so). The numbers 15 and 17 are personal favorites, and come out with thin rice noodles covered with shaved beef, cucumber, mint, carrot and and lettuce, all of it bathed in a light (lemongrass?) broth. The vegetables are fresh and crunchy and wonderful. Throw a little extra chili sauce and you've got the makings of a perfect summer lunch - even if they're open until 9pm every day but Sunday, when they're closed.

Chinese Wok Express
422 E Broadway

Columbia, MO 65201
(573) 443-5099

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love CWE! My favorite is the number 23 from the Vietnamese menu. It's an amazing amount of food for what you pay. If it weren't cash only, I would go there a lot more often (I always seem to forget to carry cash).

I will try the meals you recommend as well. I'm not terribly well-versed in Vietnamese cuisine, but what I've had there has been delicious.

Scott said...

Number 23. I think that's still noodle bowl territory, no? Regardless, it's what I'll be having next time.

And I'm no expert in Vietnamese cuisine either, but I do know a great, fresh-tasting lunch for five bucks is a winner no matter what.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's noodles, chicken, veggies and "special sauce."

Anonymous said...

I am a big CWE fan. The Vietnamese food is fantastic. Are you sure it is cash only? I've eaten there a few times, but I rarely carry cash and I've never had a problem. Maybe I just randomly have had cash any time I was in there. Not sure...