Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mashed potatoes, without all the hassle



Me, I've always thought mashed potatoes a pretty hassle-free side item. But leave it up to the geniuses at Ore-Ida to make it even easier for us to "cook" dinner in 15 minutes so we can get back to watching Hole in the Wall or whatever it is they think everybody's too busy doing to cook a real meal. Apparently they didn't get the memo about Americans cooking more.

Introducing everyone, peeled, diced potatoes in a microwaveable bag.

And then this.
To complement the introduction of Steam n' Mash products, the Ore-Ida brand has launched www.ilovemashedpotatoes.com, a new Web site for moms who love to mash!
Barf.



(Hat tip: RFT's Gut Check blog)

3 comments:

H.A. Turbofire, Sibertarian said...

I am convinced that someday there will be a product called "frozen hot water" available in the freezer section of grocery stores.

I get on a giant soapbox when I see the Smuckers frozen peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.

And Hy-Vee used to sell peanut butter slices. They were like American cheese slices, but peanut butter.

srow77 said...

Frozen hot water...that's awesome.

My wife actually called me on the way to the airport one time. She said "You'll never believe what I just heard them talking about on the radio." It was frozen PB&J.

I'm all for scaling back the time commitment if you're legitimately busy on certain days. But frozen PB&J? That's sweatpants in public, folks (while not working out). Might as well hang a sign around your neck reading "I've given up."

Anonymous said...

Every time I point out how ridiculous some of these "time saving" food products are, I get attacked by people who insist I "just don't understand" how hard it is for busy people to get dinner on the table. (Apparently having a full-time job and kids who participate in what seems like a million activities doesn't qualify me as "busy"...)

How hard is it to make a PB&J? And mashed potatoes? If you can boil water you can make mashed potatoes. You don't even have to peel them first if you don't want to. You can just mash them up as is.

I also love the shrink-wrapped, pre-washed single potatoes that you can just pop right into the microwave for an "instant" baked potato. ANY potato can be popped into the microwave and cooked that way. You don't have to buy a special (read overpriced) potato to do that.

I'm not really sure how it has come to this, but clearly a whole generation of people grew up without ever really learning the basics of cooking.