Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Seriously, call before you haul



As often happens these days, I got a serious jonesin' for bbq yesterday and decided to make the lunchtime trek up to Harrisburg for some Lonnie Ray's; I've heard much praise for the place. About the same time I hit 63 a thought occurred to me: "It's Monday. Wouldn't it be funny if I drove all the way up there and they were closed?"

They were.

Lonnie Ray's BBQ. Closed Sundays and Mondays for your info. The nice ladies at the C&S Grocery just down the street fixed me up a good country ham sandwich (with white bread, cheddar, mayo and mustard) to ease my disappointment. The corner has been home to a grocery store (formerly known as Price's) for more than 100 years. My sandwich cost less than two dollars. On the bench out front three boys, sitting shirtless, were eating ice cream and enjoying the waning days of summer. It felt palpably familiar. Throw in a grape Rocky Top soda and it might have been 1983 at my grandparents' farm in Camdenton. And the drive was beautiful, too.

And yes, I'm going back today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If they have them, Lonnie Ray's makes a decent tamale stuffed with their own pulled pork. Much more flavorful than I've had in many a Mexican restaurant.