Friday, August 22, 2008

Mugs Up (or, "Wherein I commit heresy")


Mugs Up is older than the Heidelberg, Harpos and virtually every other Columbia dining spot (can anyone name one that's older?). They've been slinging their signature zips and chili dogs just off of Highway 40 (now Business Loop 70) since 1955. They are as true a Columbia institution as you can get. And here's where I get off track: the sloppy joe "burgers" at Mugs Up? They're really not my bag. And maybe I shouldn't say this, but the root beer tastes a little watery. To me. I know, the ghost of Raymond Kewley is going to visit me in my dreams shortly and open up a can, bigtime. It's just something I'm going to have to deal with.

No, the real reason I go to Mugs Up is for those chili cheese dogs. Sonic, with their absurd, soggy, warmed-over chili monstrosity, is a mess compared to Mugs Up's neat, snappy little dogs. They're fantastic, and I can't eat fewer than two. For those not in the know Mugs Up is behind the Family Table restaurant and across from Parkade Plaza on Business Loop 70. But time's running out to catch them this year; they'll close down for the winter in another month or two.

Mugs Up
603 Orange St.
Columbia, MO
(573) 443-7238

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum...Mugs up!! I love their cheese fries and Root Beer. plus its just such a cute mom and pop shop!

Anonymous said...

Every summer I keep meaning to go there. Just curious...are their chili dogs similar to Coney Island Dogs? Or do you have no idea what I'm talking about when I talk about a Coney Island (hot dog, not the amusement park)?

Scott said...

Are Coney's all-beef franks? I don't know that Mugs Up are. But in the chili and onions on top, yeah, I guess they're probably Coney-esque. I probably need a better understanding of what a Coney Island Dog would be, though.

Anonymous said...

Scmr,

In my experience, coneys are all-beef with the casing and have a meaty chili, onions and mustard (never ketchup!). So it sounds like Mugs Up is at least a close approximation to what I'm thinking of.

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm one of those who DOES love their "zip burgers" (with cheese and onions and pickles of course) but not their chili dogs. The dogs always seem very limp to me, and the buns are soggy and not very fresh. But of course, that's just my opinion. For chili dogs, I much prefer Sonic (I know - sacrilege!). Or Woofie's in St. Louis (Overland, MO on Woodson Road). I like a dog that's got some resistance to it when you bite it - know what I mean? That being said, I guess I'm just a sucker for loose meat sandwiches, which is what Mugs Up serves. They're NOT sloppy joes, as there's no sauce involved holding it together, just tasty loose meat. Different tastes make the world go 'round, I guess!!

Scott said...

There you go, a zips aficionado. You're certainly not alone; the cheese zip is their number one seller.

Unknown said...

Name a Columbia dining spot that's older than 1955?

Booche's has that beat by almost 60 years!

srow77 said...

Mat,
I had absolutely no idea Booche's was that old. 1884 is what Wikipedia says. I'm stunned. Proof that I'm learning as much as anyone else here.

Thanks for setting me straight. Now, is it normal to be craving a greasy burger at 9:25 in the morning?