Friday, August 8, 2008

The Great Porchetta Quest: It's Go Time


In April I got this crazy idea to try to take a boneless half of a pig, roll it up and cook the hell out of it. I had quite a time trying to find a butcher or hog producer that a) knew what I was talking about and b) would do it for me. The answer came by way of Heritage Foods USA and Paradise Locker Meats just north of Kansas City. In my extra fridge rests a 27-lb. side of Berkshire hog (as well as a pork belly with which to make bacon) that's going to get his starting tomorrow afternoon.

The plan is to lay it out, dump mass quantities of salt, pepper and herbs on the thing, roll it up like a carpet, tie it off and cook it in the smoker. I will take pictures of the whole potentially embarrassing affair and post Monday. Naturally, I am completely violating all culinary sense and inviting about ten family members over to witness the (potential) debacle. If all goes awry, I'm fairly comfortable with being pointed and laughed at. Through experience (and having kids).

Still, wish me luck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paradise is a great company. I actually have about 1/4 of a Berkshire in my freezer right now that came from Newman Farm ( http://www.newmanfarm.com/ ) by way of Paradise. When I was there I also picked up some flat-iron Wagyu steaks. Oh man they were good.

Anyway, more power to you for porchetta creation. I haven't rolled the smoker out this year due to lack of time, but this post has got me thinking about brining a Berkshire butt and making some pulled pork.

Can't go wrong with home-cured bacon either!

Have fun,

Alan

Scott said...

Very nice! This bad boy's from Newman as well. I had some Duroc pork in St. Louis last weekend and am looking forward to some Berkshire. I take it that it meets your approval if you've got a quarter.

I'll have to get some Wagyu next time. Never had it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the pork definitely meets with my approval. The only recommendation that I'd have is that, as with any pork, brining the meat prior to cooking will make it twice as good. If you have Ruhlman's Charcuterie book (unbelievably good), there is a simple brine recipe in there that I use, though I don't add as much sugar . The bacon recipe that I use is also in the same book.

Best,

Alan
P.S. As for the Wagyu, the first time I tried it, it was so much better than any beef that I've ever had, that I could scarcely believe it. The only drawback is that wagyu is never--as far as I'm aware--dry aged, so the flavor profile is not quite as rich and complex as I'd like. The texture, though, is just simply insane--in a good way of course. Prime beef just can't compete.